- Why is the Australian flag not allowed to touch the ground?
- Can you fly a flag that has been on a casket?
- Can you fly any flag you want?
- Is it illegal to fly the Australian flag?
- What do you do if a flag touches the ground?
- Is it OK to fly the American flag in the rain?
- Is it OK to leave a flag out overnight?
- What do the 13 folds of a flag mean?
- Is it a crime to destroy the American flag?
- Can state flags touch the ground?
- Is it illegal to fly the Union Jack in the UK?
- Is it illegal to fly the Royal Standard?
- Is it OK to hang a flag sideways?
- Which way does the Australian flag hang?
- Can the British flag touch the ground?
Why is the Australian flag not allowed to touch the ground?
The Australian National Flag should never be displayed with the Union down except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms..
Can you fly a flag that has been on a casket?
May a person, other than a veteran, have his or her casket draped with the flag of the United States? Yes. Although this honor is usually reserved for veterans or highly regarded state and national figures, the Flag Code does not prohibit this use.
Can you fly any flag you want?
The simple answer, at least for private citizens on private property, a flag of another nation can be flown whenever the person so chooses.
Is it illegal to fly the Australian flag?
Flying the Australian national flag with other national flags. … National flags should never be flown together on the same flagpole. According to international practice, no national flag should fly above another in peacetime. The Australian national flag must, however, take the position of honour.
What do you do if a flag touches the ground?
Instead, the code stipulates, “The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.” Unless hitting the ground once renders the flag unfit for display, there’s no need to burn it.
Is it OK to fly the American flag in the rain?
Should the American flag be taken down during a rain storm? … These are permitted to fly during inclement weather, according to the Flag Code. The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all-weather flag is displayed.
Is it OK to leave a flag out overnight?
According to the US Flag Code, all American flags should be displayed from sunrise to sunset every day. Lowering the flag at night is an ultimate sign of respect for Old Glory. … You can keep your flag flying 24-hours if it is properly illuminated during all hours of darkness.
What do the 13 folds of a flag mean?
This is what the 13 folds mean: The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life. The second fold signifies our belief in eternal life. The third fold is made in honor and tribute of the veteran departing our ranks, and who gave a portion of his or her life for the defense of our country to attain peace.
Is it a crime to destroy the American flag?
1. It’s illegal to burn the American Flag. … Burning the American Flag is a type of flag desecration (the act of publically, intentionally destroying, damaging, or mutilating the American flag), but it’s not illegal.
Can state flags touch the ground?
The Flag Code states the flag should not touch anything beneath it, including the ground, but it does not require the destruction of a flag when this happens.
Is it illegal to fly the Union Jack in the UK?
Flying the England flag is legal, as long as certain conditions are met. The government made the law on flag flying more “liberalised” in 2012. … This includes “any country’s national flag”, which includes the flag of St George according to official guidance from the government.
Is it illegal to fly the Royal Standard?
She said: “That is the flag of Buckingham Palace. Nobody else is allowed to use it.” A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said: “It is not illegal. … Unlike the Union flag, the Royal Standard is never flown at half mast, even after the death of a monarch, as there is always a sovereign on the throne.
Is it OK to hang a flag sideways?
1. When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag’s own right, that is, to the observer’s left. When displayed in a window, the American flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.
Which way does the Australian flag hang?
Display of the FlagThe top left quater should be placed uppermost on the observer’s left, as viewed from the front.The top left quarter should face the north in an east-west street, and face east in a north-south street, thus being on the left of the observer facing east or south respectively.More items…
Can the British flag touch the ground?
All the movements should be slow and graceful and care should be taken that the flag does not touch the ground. After the person taking the salute has been passed the flag should be raised to its original position.